4 Knowledge Base

TelecomTrainning.net > Knowledge Base
 Viewing KB Article
Good Afternoon, - Please register or - log-in to your account.
Search
Search   Saved Questions   Ask a question
Keywords 

Available categories
LTE
100 of Questions in LTE
CCNA Certification
CCNA Sample Q & A (1000 + Q &A)
(Network +) Certification
(Network +) Sample Q & A (1000 + Q &A)
Networking
General/Interview Q& A on Networking
Home Networking
General/Interview Q& A on Networking
VOIP, SIP & Asterisk
Q & A on VOIP,Ethereal, SIP & Asterisk
Telecom Test Equipments
Q & A on Telecom Test Equipment
PSTN / Wireline
General / Interview Q & A on PSTN / Wireline
LTE, Wireless, 3G ,Diameter and HSS
General/Interview Q & A on LTE, Wireless, 3G ,Diameter and HSS
Telecom General
Any Q & A in Telecom in General

Top Questions
Friends, Describe Secure storage and distribution of A-Keys?
How do I monitor SS7 Traffic in spectra2?
what is the difference between E1 signal & Ethernet signal ?
Explain me the difference between a repeater, bridge and router? Relate this to the OSI model.
What is the difference between BRI & PRI ?
Can you tell me about PBGT?
Guys what is the purpose of Umbrella Cell Approach in GSM ?
how can we explain media gateway in MSc?
What is GGSN?
What is the difference between Electrical-tilt and Mechanical-tilt of an antenna?
What is demarc point?
What is BSC?
Can any one explain me how sms flow will work using ss7 network ?( from physical layer to application layer)
Explain SLTA and SLTM messages in MTP3?
why cellphone towers are painted in red and white?
Hi guys what is WAP?
what is EDAp? what is the functions of EDAP?
wat is the difference betweem MSC & GMSC, & MSS & GCS?
what is sdh?
What is a circuit id?

Explain Ping of Death?
bretpark 27-October-2008 11:45:51 AM

Comments

The Ping O' Death page is included first, then comes BSD source code, then comes a version of the above which is modified to compile on Linux 2.X. I also appended jolt.c, which IP spoofs to. Woop! It's the Ping o' Death Page! How to crash your operating system! Maintained by Malachi Kenney,
Posted by waqasahmad

its a basically attack & for explanation visit the subsequent link
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/networksecurityprivacy/l/bldef_pingdeath.htm
Posted by Hash007

The use of Ping with a packet size higher than 65,507. This will cause a denial of service.
Plaintext
Posted by HamidAliKhan

Ping of death is term when you send ping packets by larging its length for attack.
Posted by waqqas1

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/networksecurityprivacy/l/bldef_pingdeath.htm
Posted by suresh123

A ping of death (abbreviated "POD") is a type of attack on a computer that involves sending a malformed or otherwise malicious ping to a computer. A ping is normally 64 bytes in size (or 84 bytes when IP header is considered); many computer systems cannot handle a ping larger than the maximum IP packet size, which is 65,535 bytes. Sending a ping of this size can crash the target computer.

Traditionally, this bug has been relatively easy to exploit. Generally, sending a 65,536 byte ping packet is illegal according to networking protocol, but a packet of such a size can be sent if it is fragmented; when the target computer reassembles the packet, a buffer overflow can occur, which often causes a system crash.

This exploit has affected a wide variety of systems, including Unix, Linux, Mac, Windows, printers, and routers. However, most systems since 1997-1998 have been fixed, so this bug is mostly historical.

In recent years, a different kind of ping attack has become wide-spread - ping flooding simply floods the victim with so much ping traffic that normal traffic fails to reach the system (a basic denial-of-service attack).
Posted by sagitraz

A Ping of Death is a type of attack using large (64K) fragmented ICMP echo request packet. This can cause a number of IP stack implementations to crash, most stacks now a days are immune to this attack.
Posted by ngnguru

Q&A Rating

Q&A Rating
Rate This Question and Answer

Related Questions
What is the command used to configure a router to allow Telnet access? Give Example?

What is COA?
What do i need to get H.323 support in Asterisk?

Search questions via popularity
Top viewed questions  Top emailed questions  Most printed questions  Most saved questions

Copyright © Telecom Training, All Rights Reserved