4 Knowledge Base

TelecomTrainning.net > Knowledge Base
 Viewing KB Article
Good Afternoon, - Please register or - log-in to your account.
Search
Search   Saved Questions   Ask a question
Keywords 

Available categories
LTE
100 of Questions in LTE
CCNA Certification
CCNA Sample Q & A (1000 + Q &A)
(Network +) Certification
(Network +) Sample Q & A (1000 + Q &A)
Networking
General/Interview Q& A on Networking
Home Networking
General/Interview Q& A on Networking
VOIP, SIP & Asterisk
Q & A on VOIP,Ethereal, SIP & Asterisk
Telecom Test Equipments
Q & A on Telecom Test Equipment
PSTN / Wireline
General / Interview Q & A on PSTN / Wireline
LTE, Wireless, 3G ,Diameter and HSS
General/Interview Q & A on LTE, Wireless, 3G ,Diameter and HSS
Telecom General
Any Q & A in Telecom in General

Top Questions
Friends, Describe Secure storage and distribution of A-Keys?
How do I monitor SS7 Traffic in spectra2?
what is the difference between E1 signal & Ethernet signal ?
Explain me the difference between a repeater, bridge and router? Relate this to the OSI model.
What is the difference between BRI & PRI ?
Can you tell me about PBGT?
Guys what is the purpose of Umbrella Cell Approach in GSM ?
how can we explain media gateway in MSc?
What is GGSN?
What is the difference between Electrical-tilt and Mechanical-tilt of an antenna?
What is demarc point?
What is BSC?
Can any one explain me how sms flow will work using ss7 network ?( from physical layer to application layer)
Explain SLTA and SLTM messages in MTP3?
why cellphone towers are painted in red and white?
Hi guys what is WAP?
what is EDAp? what is the functions of EDAP?
wat is the difference betweem MSC & GMSC, & MSS & GCS?
what is sdh?
What is a circuit id?

IS Trixbox CE 2.4 based on Asterisk 1.4?
rodriguezrayen 25-August-2008 02:05:44 PM

Comments

trixbox CE 2.4 was recently released and features some major improvements. trixbox CE 2.4 features CentOS 5.1 as the base operating system and Asterisk 1.4 as the engine. These are two major improvements over prior releases.

Fonality's Kerry Garrison writes, "One problem with trixbox CE 2.x is the lack of hardware support for current systems, especially newer Dell platforms. The vast majority of this has been solved because trixbox CE 2.4 is now based on top of the latest CentOS 5.1 kernel. This now provides support for a much larger number of motherboards, network cards and components such as hardware raid controllers. CentOS 5.1 also has high resolution timers built into the kernel so the need for hardware timers on the PCI bus should no longer be required, this is promised to make systems running in VMware or XEN sessions work much better."

If you're an Asterisk fan, you're probably wondering if it such a good idea for trixbox CE to jump to Asterisk 1.4 from Asterisk 1.2 because Asterisk 1.4 had some speed & stability problems. It's one of the reasons why trixbox stuck with 1.2 and probably even why Fonality's PBXtra has kept 1.2 as its core. At least that's what I remember Chris Lyman telling me awhile back. Well, according to Kerry, the stability issues seem to have been pretty well solved in current versions of Asterisk 1.4.

Asterisk 1.4 gives trixbox CE some enhanced features, including:

* Generic Jitter Buffer- improves the quality of a call during network congestion.
* Asterisk Extension Language Version 2- simplifies programming and dial plan configuration.
* T.38- allows IP FAXes to pass through the server.
* Jabber/Jingle/GoogleTalk- supports compatibility with all of these networks.
* Increased language capabilities- offers new language capabilities in English, Spanish and French as well as new sounds and improved sentence structure support.
* Unified Messaging- integrates voicemail, email, and fax into a central mailbox where users can send, retrieve and manage all of their messages using any communication device.
* Whisper Paging- allows for selective, pre-programmed call interruption with controlled volume levels and muting capabilities.
* Variable lengthDTMF support
* Proper implementation of DTMF rfc2833

Posted by sagitraz

trixbox CE 2.2 is based on CentOS 4.6 and Asterisk 1.2.
trixbox CE 2.4 is based on CentOS 5.1 and Asterisk 1.4.

Posted by james_winston

Q&A Rating

Q&A Rating
Rate This Question and Answer

Related Questions
Define RUN Location and Compression Identifiers? Give Example?

Hi guys which frame have a TYPE field to identify the upper-layer protocol?
Which protocol used in PPP allows multiple Network-layer protocols to be used during a connection?

Search questions via popularity
Top viewed questions  Top emailed questions  Most printed questions  Most saved questions

Copyright © Telecom Training, All Rights Reserved