Difference between how a router and a bridge function?
gopal 21-September-2009 10:20:23 PM

Comments

A router essentially determines which way is the shortest or fastest in a network, and routes packets accordingly. It works at layer 3 of the OSI model, moving packets from one port to another based on L3 addresses - ie. IP addresses, IPX addresses, etc. A bridge connects one point to another in a network permanently. It works at layer 1 and 2 of the OSI model.
Posted by getatif@yahoo.com

Both
functionality are part of Software or Hardware?. Why both are
required?. Is data link layer is same as Mac layer?.

Does every Router had one WAN port as uplink and many ports are
downlink right?. Is the switch also samething?.

Can I connect one Router's LAN port to one more Router's WAN port, this
way I can maintain two subnets?.
Posted by priyadarshan

The main difference is that router is a layer 3 device and bridge works on layer 1,2.
And also router determines which way is the shortest in a network, and routes packets according to it,And bridge connects one point to other.
Posted by sagitraz

Posted: 23-September-2009 11:04:26 AM By: sagitraz

The main difference is that router is a layer 3 device and bridge works on layer 1,2.
And also router determines which way is the shortest in a network, and routes packets according to it,And bridge connects one point to other.

Posted: 25-September-2009 07:59:38 AM By: priyadarshan

Both
functionality are part of Software or Hardware?. Why both are
required?. Is data link layer is same as Mac layer?.

Does every Router had one WAN port as uplink and many ports are
downlink right?. Is the switch also samething?.

Can I connect one Router's LAN port to one more Router's WAN port, this
way I can maintain two subnets?.

Posted: 13-November-2009 12:24:35 AM By: getatif@yahoo.com

A router essentially determines which way is the shortest or fastest in a network, and routes packets accordingly. It works at layer 3 of the OSI model, moving packets from one port to another based on L3 addresses - ie. IP addresses, IPX addresses, etc. A bridge connects one point to another in a network permanently. It works at layer 1 and 2 of the OSI model.