Why is IP address in IPv4 of 32-bit? Why not 30bit, or 36bits, or any other value?
grr 25-November-2008 09:27:07 AM

Comments

I think for mapping purpsose
Posted by Hash007

This is only designing consideration, no other technical purpose...
Posted by waqqas1

Dear,There may be no simple direct mapping (like truncation) to the 32-bit IP address, since the address of an individual Ethernet controller is a unique 48-bit value assigned by the manufacturer that could conceivably conflict with other addresses on the local network if a subset of the 48-bits is used to form the local host part of the IP address.
To solve this potential conflict, we choose a mapping that depends on table lookup. Each host on the local network is assigned an IP address with a unique local host part for that network.

Posted by sagitraz

Can u please give an example? I'm not able to understand how we can map a 48bit MAP to a 32bit IP address?

Posted by grr

for mapping MAC address into IPV4 we use 32 bit address
Posted by HamidAliKhan

IPv4 addresses are 32 bits, while MAC addresses are 48 bits, so mapping every possible MAC address into an IPv4 address requires 32-bit address and its achieve by overlaping of the addresses.
Posted by sagitraz

Posted: 25-November-2008 12:45:20 PM By: sagitraz

IPv4 addresses are 32 bits, while MAC addresses are 48 bits, so mapping every possible MAC address into an IPv4 address requires 32-bit address and its achieve by overlaping of the addresses.

Posted: 25-November-2008 01:28:15 PM By: HamidAliKhan

for mapping MAC address into IPV4 we use 32 bit address

Posted: 25-November-2008 02:46:21 PM By: grr

Can u please give an example? I'm not able to understand how we can map a 48bit MAP to a 32bit IP address?

Posted: 26-November-2008 09:16:04 AM By: sagitraz

Dear,There may be no simple direct mapping (like truncation) to the 32-bit IP address, since the address of an individual Ethernet controller is a unique 48-bit value assigned by the manufacturer that could conceivably conflict with other addresses on the local network if a subset of the 48-bits is used to form the local host part of the IP address.
To solve this potential conflict, we choose a mapping that depends on table lookup. Each host on the local network is assigned an IP address with a unique local host part for that network.

Posted: 24-December-2008 05:23:49 AM By: waqqas1

This is only designing consideration, no other technical purpose...

Posted: 31-December-2008 11:00:48 AM By: Hash007

I think for mapping purpsose