Define Ethernet Port?
AbramianDaniel 31-March-2009 01:07:44 AM

Comments

Ethernet Port is a socket on a computer or network device for plugging in an Ethernet cable
Posted by waqasahmad

An Ethernet port (which might be a FastEthernet or even a GigabitEthernet port, depending on your router model) is intended to connect to the LAN. Some routers have more than one Ethernet or FastEthernet port; it really depends on what you need and of course what you purchase. The Ethernet port usually connects to the LAN switch with a straight-through cable.

A straight-through cable has pin 1 connected to pin 1, 2 to 2, 3 to 3, and so on. It is used to connect routers and hosts to switches or hubs.

If you have two or more Ethernet ports, you can connect the others to a high-speed Internet connection such as a cable modem or DSL, or to another, separate LAN.

A crossover cable is used to connect two devices that each use the same pins for the transmit and receive functions; this means that if we use a straight-through cable to connect them, the Layer 1 circuit will not come up, and the connection will not work. For example, suppose I want to connect my router's FastEthernet0/1 interface to another router's FastEthernet0/1 interface. If I use a straight-through cable, the link will not work. Instead, I will use a crossover cable, which changes the pinouts of the transmit and receive pairs so that they line up, respectively, with the receive and transmit pairs on the other device. When I attach the crossover cable, the link lights should come on, and Layers 1 and 2 should change to up.

A crossover cable should be used between two routers, two switches, a switch and a hub, a PC's NIC direct to another PC's NIC—in general, two "like" devices will be connected by a crossover cable. Here's a tricky one, though: To connect a PC's NIC directly to your router's Ethernet interface, you need a crossover cable—even though those two devices are not "like." In the real world, some devices sense when a connection needs to be crossed over, and will automatically "rewire" the port to the correct pinouts.
Posted by steve10

Its basically a socket on a computer or network device for plugging in an Ethernet cable.
Posted by HamidAliKhan

A socket on a computer or network device for plugging in an Ethernet cable.
Posted by sagitraz

Posted: 31-March-2009 04:42:15 AM By: sagitraz

A socket on a computer or network device for plugging in an Ethernet cable.

Posted: 31-March-2009 07:37:14 AM By: HamidAliKhan

Its basically a socket on a computer or network device for plugging in an Ethernet cable.

Posted: 01-April-2009 01:51:49 AM By: steve10

An Ethernet port (which might be a FastEthernet or even a GigabitEthernet port, depending on your router model) is intended to connect to the LAN. Some routers have more than one Ethernet or FastEthernet port; it really depends on what you need and of course what you purchase. The Ethernet port usually connects to the LAN switch with a straight-through cable.

A straight-through cable has pin 1 connected to pin 1, 2 to 2, 3 to 3, and so on. It is used to connect routers and hosts to switches or hubs.

If you have two or more Ethernet ports, you can connect the others to a high-speed Internet connection such as a cable modem or DSL, or to another, separate LAN.

A crossover cable is used to connect two devices that each use the same pins for the transmit and receive functions; this means that if we use a straight-through cable to connect them, the Layer 1 circuit will not come up, and the connection will not work. For example, suppose I want to connect my router's FastEthernet0/1 interface to another router's FastEthernet0/1 interface. If I use a straight-through cable, the link will not work. Instead, I will use a crossover cable, which changes the pinouts of the transmit and receive pairs so that they line up, respectively, with the receive and transmit pairs on the other device. When I attach the crossover cable, the link lights should come on, and Layers 1 and 2 should change to up.

A crossover cable should be used between two routers, two switches, a switch and a hub, a PC's NIC direct to another PC's NIC—in general, two "like" devices will be connected by a crossover cable. Here's a tricky one, though: To connect a PC's NIC directly to your router's Ethernet interface, you need a crossover cable—even though those two devices are not "like." In the real world, some devices sense when a connection needs to be crossed over, and will automatically "rewire" the port to the correct pinouts.

Posted: 27-April-2009 02:59:21 AM By: waqasahmad

Ethernet Port is a socket on a computer or network device for plugging in an Ethernet cable