Can anyone tell me what .ost file is?
Kristopher 27-September-2007 07:11:03 PM

Comments

I managed to find the .ost files under the old domain profile but cant open them in outlook.
Posted by waqasahmad

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA010563001033.aspx
Posted by Hash007

In Microsoft Office Outlook 2003, a new offline folder file format is introduced that offers greater storage capacity for items and folders and supports multilingual Unicode data. An offline file folder is used to keep a local copy of your Exchange Server mailbox on your computer. The items in your .ost file are synchronized with the server when a connection is available.

Steps for offline file folder:-

1. On the File menu, click Work Offline.

2. Select or clear the Prompt me at startup so I may choose to work offline or online check box, and then click OK. If you clear the check box, Outlook will automatically start offline if a connection to the server is not available.

3. Click Yes to copy the data from the server to your new Offline Folder file (.ost).

Posted by jarid_alton

Posted: 28-September-2007 02:02:57 PM By: jarid_alton

In Microsoft Office Outlook 2003, a new offline folder file format is introduced that offers greater storage capacity for items and folders and supports multilingual Unicode data. An offline file folder is used to keep a local copy of your Exchange Server mailbox on your computer. The items in your .ost file are synchronized with the server when a connection is available.

Steps for offline file folder:-

1. On the File menu, click Work Offline.

2. Select or clear the Prompt me at startup so I may choose to work offline or online check box, and then click OK. If you clear the check box, Outlook will automatically start offline if a connection to the server is not available.

3. Click Yes to copy the data from the server to your new Offline Folder file (.ost).

Posted: 22-November-2008 08:49:06 AM By: Hash007

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA010563001033.aspx

Posted: 31-December-2008 06:45:02 AM By: waqasahmad

I managed to find the .ost files under the old domain profile but cant open them in outlook.