4 Knowledge Base

TelecomTrainning.net > Knowledge Base
 Viewing KB Article
Good Afternoon, - Please register or - log-in to your account.
Search
Search   Saved Questions   Ask a question
Keywords 

Available categories
LTE
100 of Questions in LTE
CCNA Certification
CCNA Sample Q & A (1000 + Q &A)
(Network +) Certification
(Network +) Sample Q & A (1000 + Q &A)
Networking
General/Interview Q& A on Networking
Home Networking
General/Interview Q& A on Networking
VOIP, SIP & Asterisk
Q & A on VOIP,Ethereal, SIP & Asterisk
Telecom Test Equipments
Q & A on Telecom Test Equipment
PSTN / Wireline
General / Interview Q & A on PSTN / Wireline
LTE, Wireless, 3G ,Diameter and HSS
General/Interview Q & A on LTE, Wireless, 3G ,Diameter and HSS
Telecom General
Any Q & A in Telecom in General

Top Questions
Friends, Describe Secure storage and distribution of A-Keys?
How do I monitor SS7 Traffic in spectra2?
what is the difference between E1 signal & Ethernet signal ?
Explain me the difference between a repeater, bridge and router? Relate this to the OSI model.
What is the difference between BRI & PRI ?
Can you tell me about PBGT?
Guys what is the purpose of Umbrella Cell Approach in GSM ?
how can we explain media gateway in MSc?
What is GGSN?
What is the difference between Electrical-tilt and Mechanical-tilt of an antenna?
What is demarc point?
What is BSC?
Can any one explain me how sms flow will work using ss7 network ?( from physical layer to application layer)
Explain SLTA and SLTM messages in MTP3?
why cellphone towers are painted in red and white?
Hi guys what is WAP?
what is EDAp? what is the functions of EDAP?
wat is the difference betweem MSC & GMSC, & MSS & GCS?
what is sdh?
What is a circuit id?

In Windows 2000 or XP, how do I choose between NTFS, FAT, and FAT32?
tyson 09-October-2008 10:14:06 PM

Comments

You can choose between three file systems (NTFS, FAT, and FAT32) for disk partitions on a computer running Windows 2000 or XP. please visit
technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library
Posted by waqasahmad

Follow the link
http://kb.iu.edu/data/ajqm.html
Posted by HamidAliKhan

(New English Interpretation!)

* You cannot format a volume larger than 32 gigabytes (GB) in size using the FAT32 file system during the Windows XP installation process. Windows XP can mount and support FAT32 volumes larger than 32 GB (subject to the other limits), but you cannot create a FAT32 volume larger than 32 GB by using the Format tool during Setup. If you need to format a volume that is larger than 32 GB, use the NTFS file system to format it. Another option is to start from a Microsoft Windows 98 or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me) Startup disk and use the Format tool included on the disk.

English Interpretation: If you have a hard drive over 40 gig in size, be certain to choose the option NTFS.

* Clusters cannot be 64 kilobytes (KB) or larger. If clusters are 64 KB or larger, some programs (such as Setup programs) may incorrectly calculate disk space.

English Interpretation: Your hard drive may not appear to be as big as it really is when using FAT32; so when given a choice, use NTFS.

* Windows XP supports three file systems for fixed disks: FAT16, FAT32, and NTFS. It is recommended that you use NTFS with Windows XP because of its advanced performance, security, and reliability features.

English Interpretation: When given a choice, choose NTFS since it is more reliable and secure!

* Some older programs that were not written for Windows NT 4.0 or Windows 2000 may exhibit slow performance after you convert the FAT32 file system to NTFS. This behavior does not occur on a clean partition of NTFS.

English Interpretation: It is best to format your hard drive and choose the NTFS file system, instead of converting an existing drive from NTFS without a format.

* If you run other Windows operating systems on your computer in addition to Windows XP, note the following issues: Only Microsoft Windows 2000 and Windows XP have full access to files on an NTFS volume. Also, Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me), Windows 98 Second Edition and earlier, and MS-DOS cannot access files on an NTFS volume.

English Interpretation: If you set up a dual boot system, when you boot into your old Win Me/98/95 you will not be able to see or access any of the files on the drive that is NTFS. You will be able to see and access files on the Me/98/95 drive when booting into XP. If you don't understand what dual-boot is, or if you do not have very specific reasons to set up a dual boot system, don't do it!! If you do have a dual boot system, and you want to be able to access files on a FAT32 drive, don't use NTFS

* What is Microsoft's recommendation on this? NTFS is the recommended file system for computers running the Microsoft Windows XP and Windows .NET Server operating systems. NTFS offers many end-user benefits related to functionality, security, stability, availability, reliability, and performance. NTFS, which was originally introduced with Microsoft Windows NTŪ 3.1, has always provided advanced file system features such as security, transacted operations, large volumes, and better performance on large volumes. Such capabilities are not available on either FAT16 or FAT32

English Interpretation: Microsoft highly recommends you choose NTFS

* Boot time with FAT32 is increased in hard drives larger then 32 GB because of the time required to read all of the FAT structure. This must be done to calculate the amount of free space when the volume is mounted. Read/write performance with FAT32 is affected because the file system must determine the free space on the disk through the small views of the massive FAT structure. This leads to inefficiencies in file allocation.

English Interpretation: If your hard drive is larger then 32 GB, use NTFS for best performance.

Posted by sagitraz

http://kb.iu.edu/data/ajqm.html
Posted by michaelcoyne

Q&A Rating

Q&A Rating
Rate This Question and Answer

Related Questions
What is RFC number for SIP-T and SIP/PSTN?
What is the use of Bridging and Switching?

Anyone tell me, when you set up a new FTP server, what should you do first when creating accounts for your FTP users?

Search questions via popularity
Top viewed questions  Top emailed questions  Most printed questions  Most saved questions

Copyright © Telecom Training, All Rights Reserved