4 Knowledge Base

TelecomTrainning.net > Knowledge Base
 Viewing KB Article
Good Morning, - Please register or - log-in to your account.
Search
Search   Saved Questions   Ask a question
Keywords 

Available categories
LTE
100 of Questions in LTE
CCNA Certification
CCNA Sample Q & A (1000 + Q &A)
(Network +) Certification
(Network +) Sample Q & A (1000 + Q &A)
Networking
General/Interview Q& A on Networking
Home Networking
General/Interview Q& A on Networking
VOIP, SIP & Asterisk
Q & A on VOIP,Ethereal, SIP & Asterisk
Telecom Test Equipments
Q & A on Telecom Test Equipment
PSTN / Wireline
General / Interview Q & A on PSTN / Wireline
LTE, Wireless, 3G ,Diameter and HSS
General/Interview Q & A on LTE, Wireless, 3G ,Diameter and HSS
Telecom General
Any Q & A in Telecom in General

Top Questions
Friends, Describe Secure storage and distribution of A-Keys?
How do I monitor SS7 Traffic in spectra2?
what is the difference between E1 signal & Ethernet signal ?
Explain me the difference between a repeater, bridge and router? Relate this to the OSI model.
What is the difference between BRI & PRI ?
Can you tell me about PBGT?
Guys what is the purpose of Umbrella Cell Approach in GSM ?
how can we explain media gateway in MSc?
What is GGSN?
What is the difference between Electrical-tilt and Mechanical-tilt of an antenna?
What is demarc point?
What is BSC?
Can any one explain me how sms flow will work using ss7 network ?( from physical layer to application layer)
Explain SLTA and SLTM messages in MTP3?
why cellphone towers are painted in red and white?
Hi guys what is WAP?
what is EDAp? what is the functions of EDAP?
wat is the difference betweem MSC & GMSC, & MSS & GCS?
what is sdh?
What is a circuit id?

Can anyone explain about Basic Switch Configuration?
campbell123 06-April-2009 01:12:05 AM

Comments

www.tech-faq.com/cisco-switch-configuration.shtml
Posted by crouse

www.bigresource.com/VB-How-do-I-switch-language-files-in-visual-basic-6-0--n5xRbz7TQs.html
Posted by crouse

A Cisco switch will function perfectly well right out of the box with no configuration required; however, it's a good idea to do a few basic configurations to personalize, secure, and optimize the device.

Setting the Hostname:
The default hostname is "Switch," which not only lacks imagination, but also is confusing if you have a lot of them. Changing the hostname is simple:

Switch(config)#hostname My2960
My2960(config)#

Notice that the hostname instantly changed!

Setting a Management IP Address:
If you want to Telnet to your switch to manage it remotely, have it participate in an SNMP system, or use the integrated HTTP server for monitoring, your switch needs an IP address and gateway address. This IP address is applied to the VLAN1 interface and the default gateway is a global command on a switch—unlike a router, a switch has no physical ports that can be assigned IP addresses, so the virtual interface of VLAN1 (the management VLAN) gets the addresses:

My2960(config)#interface vlan1
My2960(config-if)#ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0
My2960(config-if)#exit
My2960(config)#ip default-gateway 192.168.1.1

Setting Speed and Duplex on Ethernet Ports:
Although the Ethernet interfaces will auto-detect the duplex and speed setting on a 2960, it is usually a good idea to hard-code them when you are sure of what you are connecting to (such as a server, a switch, or router):

My2960(config)#interface f0/24
My2960(config-if)#speed 100
My2960(config-if)#duplex full

Serial Port Configuration:
A Cisco serial port can run several different Layer2 encapsulations—meaning, it can connect to different types of networks. You must be sure that the encapsulation type matches that of the device you are connecting to. We are interested only in three serial encapsulations: HDLC, PPP, and Frame Relay. The command to change the encapsulation is executed at the interface configuration prompt:

Router(config)#interface serial 0
Router(config-if)#encapsulation [hdlc | frame-relay | ppp]

You might also need to set up the serial speed by configuring a clock rate. Usually this is supplied by the service provider's device (the DCE—Data Communication Equipment), but in training labs we will hook a router directly to another router with a special back-to-back cable. In this situation, one of the devices must emulate the DCE, and the DCE sets the clock. Only one device needs the clock rate set.
You can also configure a bandwidth statement on the interface. This one is a little tricky; it looks like we are setting the bandwidth (as in bits per second) of the interface, but we really aren't—the clock rate sets the physical data rate. What we are doing with the bandwidth command is reporting to the routing protocols about the capacity of the interface. It might have an actual clock rate of 64000 (64K), but we could lie and set the bandwidth to 56K for the purposes of routing information:

Router(config-if)#clock rate 64000
Router(config-if)#bandwidth 56

Enabling Interfaces:
By default, every interface on a router (whether it is brand new or has had its configuration erased) is in a shutdown state. This is also known as administratively down; although the interface might have been perfectly configured with an IP and mask, encapsulation, and whatever else is needed, the interface is effectively off—even Layer 1 is down. A shutdown interface doesn't send or receive any data at all, and it causes the other end of a serial link to think it is dead altogether. So when you first configure a new router or one that has had its configuration erased, remember to issue the no shutdown command at each interface, or none of the interfaces will work!

Router(config-if)#no shutdown

On a router, every interface is a gateway to another network. For this reason, we do not need to supply a default gateway. However, every interface you intend to use will need an IP address and mask. The commands to set an IP are exactly the same as on a switch. Don't forget the no shutdown (no shut for short):

Router(config)#interface s0
Router(config-if)#ip address 10.0.0.1 255.0.0.0
Router(config-if)#no shut
Router(config-if)#interface e0
Router(config-if)#ip address 172.16.0.1 255.255.0.0
Router(config-if)#no shut
Posted by thomas

Please visit:

www.tech-faq.com/cisco-switch-configuration.shtml
Posted by sagitraz

Q&A Rating

Q&A Rating
Rate This Question and Answer

Related Questions
I have wired network and I plan to wireless? What is the hardware needed ?

Can someone explain in detail a yellow alarm or RAI in E1 or T1?

Kindly provide the call flow of GSM prepaid customer making outgoing calls. Basically call flow messages of MSC and IN is required.

Search questions via popularity
Top viewed questions  Top emailed questions  Most printed questions  Most saved questions

Copyright © Telecom Training, All Rights Reserved